No, I’m not a vegan – but I love indulging in curries full of hearty plant protein – like the one I’m about the share with you today! A bowl of this nourishing curry will keep you full and cozy on these chilly Autumn days. I’ve actually noticed that as the weather gets colder, I tend to make my food spicier and spicier – keeps me warmer outside (it’s very possible that it’s all in my head).
I’ve always thought of sweet potato as a very Thanksgiving-y – Autumn type root vegetable to cook with, so I start buying them more frequently during this time of the year. This is, however, my first time using it in an Indian style curry. Trust me, it’s worth it. Sweet potatoes have such a distinct flavor; and when mixed with this particular blend of spices, the tender and spicy sweet potatoes just melt in your mouth.
If there’s one thing you know my pantry will always have, it’s chickpeas. My husband and I love homemade hummus (it’s just incomparable to the store bought stuff), and we love it in salads and curries! The addition of chickpeas was just out of habit – but added so much texture and flavor!
The subtle taste of coconut will unearth a reminder of the incredible flavors of Thai food, while the turmeric and garam masala will spark nostalgic Indian flavors. The end result of this curry is a hearty, creamy, heavy stew that suffices as a meal on its own; if you’re looking to cut out the extra carbs, skip the rice!
I love that it’s vegan – I really cannot stop cooking with coconut milk; especially now that I’ve developed a slight lactose intolerance! In curries like this, the coconut will just bring out the taste of the other ingredients. If you do not like the taste of coconut, you can also use cashew milk for an extra creamy curry! I’m really loving the availability of so many dairy free options! Enjoy!
A delicious Vegan plant based recipe that is both delicious and nutritious. Sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and spices create a perfect marriage of flavors that make this curry an Autumn go-to.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 shallots, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1/2 a package of baby spinach
- pepper, to taste
- In a large wok, heat the vegetable oil. Add in the onion and saute until the onions are translucent. Add in the cumin, salt, garlic, ginger, cilantro, and cayenne pepper and stir to coat the onions. Saute for a few minutes.
- Toss in the remainder of the ingredients and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat. Cover the wok and simmer for 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes fall off the fork.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in pepper at this point (if using).
This recipe was adapted from the amazing "Oh She Glows" cookbook by Angela Liddon.