This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. Thank you to the sponsors that keep us Cooking Colorfully. #InspireWithCheese
If I lived in a house of cheese, it would disintegrate from the nibbles. That’s how much I love cheese. And what better way to enjoy the ‘Hols’ than an edible pine cone?! P.S. If y’all want to win some serious swag scroll to the sweepstakes below!
Now, I’m not the most – let’s say – nimble and delicate person in the kitchen (or in life), and still, I was able to create these pine cones with ease! (Please ignore the fact that I let my great big hands squash the one on the right 😉 it was still delish)
You’ll need to start just 15 minutes before your guests arrive. Make your almonds ahead, or buy them. This works well with just toasted almonds too, if you don’t want a particular flavor. When Michael took it down to our apartment’s Fall party, it was a big hit! Encourage people to get right in there and scoop the cheese with the almonds. Find my recipe for the spicy hot sauce almonds at the bottom of the post!
Just a tip, have 2 stacks of crackers for each pine cone and a cheese knife – you’ll need them when the almonds disappear!
You can likely find Kaukauna® products in any local grocery store, but I went to Walmart and found the Sharp Cheddar (best flavor) cheese balls where they stock all the other good quality cheese near the produce.
For those of you who don’t know about Kaukauna® yet, their incredible 100% cheddar cheese (for real) products come in cups, logs (perfect for slicing and layering), and my Holiday favorite; cheese balls! Honestly, you won’t get an easier fix for entertaining. And hey, if you’re feeling especially tight on time, don’t even make the pine cone – the cheese ball with a side selection of all kinds of crackers is a perfect appetizer too.
How to Assemble
Step One – Unwrap your Kaukauna® cheese ball and shape it into a round bottomed cone. (Like a basic pine cone shape)
Step Two – Lay the shaped cheese ball on its side and start placing your almonds from the bottom up. Make sure the pointy part of the almond is facing out and slightly upwards towards the top. Layer the almonds in rows until you cover the entire surface.
Anyone looking for a little extra Holiday treat, listen up: for a chance to win prizes through a Kaukauna® sweepstakes, you can either share a pre-written tweet, visit the social hub, visit and like Kaukauna®’s Facebook page, or visit Kaukauna®’s Pinterest page!
Four lucky winners will win an “entertaining basket” that includes a $250 Visa gift card, apron, oven mitt, kitchen towel, Kaukauna® cheeseboard, and serving platter. Ten lucky winners will receive a $100 Visa gift card, and fifteen lucky winners will receive either a $25 Visa gift card, a Kaukauna® cheeseboard, and an oven mitt or apron! Sweepstakes entry dates are 11/15/2017 12:00am ET to 12/31/2017 11:59pm ET. Take a gander at the Official Rules.
Save on any Kaukauna® Cheese product from 11/15/17 to 12/31/17!
Delicious and spicy flavored almonds that can be used for snacking - or these incredible Pine Cone Cheeseball Centerpieces.
- 3 cups of whole, natural almonds (don't get toasted!)
- 1 egg white (I used egg whites from a carton)
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 300 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk your egg white until frothy, continue whisking as you add in the hot sauce, pepper, and garlic salt.
- Pour in almonds and toss to coat completely.
- Spread the coated almonds onto your baking sheet in one layer. Bake for 10 minutes, and remove and use a spatula to loosen and flip them over (for even crunchiness). Shake the tray once you've moved the almonds around so that they stay in one layer.
- Bake again for 10 minutes and repeat the spatula almond flipping process. Shake tray again. Reduce temperature to 250 degrees.
- Bake for one last 10 minute interval, and keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn.
- Remove and cool. Store in an airtight jar.