I wolfed this down in under five minutes! I couldn’t believe that something so healthful and colourful could be so delicious! Using egg whites is a great way to have a low cholesterol and low fat lunch packed with protein. I also made sure I got a hefty dose of my daily vegetable intake along with it. Try it in a sandwich for a more filling meal!
The largest barrier to eating healthy for me is a lack of ideas. I have a very picky palate, and not an extremely varied pantry of ingredients to choose from. The only meat I grew up eating was chicken, and by the time I was old enough to experiment in the kitchen, I had not developed the taste for pork, beef, or any other meats (although I’ll eat them occasionally). I’m not a big fan of quinoa or couscous or avocado (people think that last one is crazy), so a lot of lunch options didn’t work for me. I decided that eggs were a great idea…boy was I right!
This recipe contains 286 calories, and 36 grams of protein (awesome). Try making this for lunch! Instead of using regular eggs and wasting the yolks, I bought my favourite brand of egg whites!
- 7 tablespoons egg whites (a little less than 1/2 cup of egg whites)
- ¼ cup low fat feta cheese
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ of a red or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- Slice your mushrooms, and red/yellow peppers and wash thoroughly
- In a small pan, heat one teaspoon of olive oil, and mix in the chili powder with the oil. Add in the mushrooms and peppers stir fry until slightly browned, add in two or more tablespoons of water if the pan dries out.
- Spoon the vegetables into a separate bowl, and spoon in the egg whites to the hot pan and scramble the whites
- Once the egg whites have cooked, add in the vegetables and feta cheese until cheese is melted