Y’all are in for a treat today! These cookies are honestly so delicious that I’ll have to make a smaller batch next time (it’s likely that you’ll eat a few more than you initially anticipated). I’m not going to wow you by saying this is a healthy cookie. It’s not healthy, but as always, you can control what you put into it. I thought ahead and made them when I knew there’d be other people around to eat them. I remember to portion control, and it’s not best to have more than two of these in a day. I slipped up and had three, oops!
PS. Do you love the photographs? Believe it or not, these were taken at night! Stay tuned later in the month for a post on food photography and how I built my very own imaging light for under $50.
So why is this cookie different from all the other cookies out there? Coconut oil, that’s why. I am obsessed with coconut oil. It has helped me in some amazing ways: it has improved my skin tone (I use it as a face cream at night), tamed my humidity hair (I use it as a hair mask), and ensured no dry skin in the summer heat (I use it as a moisturizer). While the topical uses are numerous, it’s also an oil that can be used in baking and cooking. It is aromatic and leaves a lovely, light coco-nutty flavour which pairs amazingly with dark chocolate. I use unrefined, virgin coconut oil. I’m going to note something important – many people say that coconut oil is healthier than butter. I believed it too, however, there is no substantial evidence to show that this is true. The reason I used coconut oil is:
1. Because I had no butter
2. I love the flavour and smell
3. I am testing out Dairy Free recipes for my sister who is lactose intolerant
I worked off of an amazing recipe I found on AllRecipes. In my recipe, I used less sugar than I would normally have because I am trying to limit my intake of sugar, and again, I used coconut oil instead of butter. Each cookie in the full sugar recipe is 168 calories. Each cookie in the reduced sugar recipe is 151 calories.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup brown sugar (3/4 cup brown sugar for reduced sugar)
- 1/2 cup white sugar (1/4 cup white sugar for reduced sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Sift together all purpose flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut oil, brown sugar, and white sugar
- Add in the egg and egg yolk, and mix thoroughly, add in vanilla extract
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined
- With a wooden spoon, stir in dark chocolate chips
- Scoop 1 rounded tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet lightly press your thumb onto the top to flatten slightly
- Place each cookie dough ball 1 inch apart and then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown
HELPFUL TO HAVE
This post contains affiliate links, purchasing via these links supports R&M. I only recommend products that I love!