Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food for the Western world. I always felt so guilty eating it, though – whether it was a sightly gross powdered cheese sauce, or cheese sauce made with slices of cheese in plastic packages, it was always to tantalizing because I knew it wasn’t good for me. But there’s a new recipe in town! One that I do not feel guilty telling you about! I am so ready to dig into this!
Yes folks, it tastes just as good as it looks. The difference between this Mac and Cheese and others is the substitution for milk/full fat cream for fat free Greek yogurt and low fat, good quality cheese. Trust me, spending a little more on cheese goes a long way for this recipe. Cheese slices will not cut it for this one!
Can I also just mention how fast this recipe can be made?! 15 minutes, one pot, and your done! You only have to wash one dish. For all of you home cooks out there who cook everyday without a dishwasher, you’ll know how much this means to me.
As for the nutritional values of this recipe, no it’s not magically 10 calories per serving, but I’ll tell you this: if you’re going to eat Mac and Cheese, this is the way to do it. It only contains 9 grams of fat, and 326 calories per serving. Those are unbeatable stats for a homemade, unprocessed, fresh ingredient mac and cheese! Let put this into perspective: one serving of Kraft Dinner contains 570 mg and 1 serving of this recipe contains 341 mg of sodium. Plus, the flavour of this mac and cheese is incomparable!
- 2 cups of uncooked pasta (I used shell pasta)
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes, plus extra for garnishing
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon panko
- ½ cup 0% fat Greek yogurt (I used Oikos)
- 1½ cups low fat shredded cheese (I used a mixture of Feta and Cheddar)
- chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta in a medium sized pot and drain water
- In a sauce pan, brown garlic on medium heat and add in cheese, yogurt, onion powder, pepper, and chili flakes and make a thick sauce
- Add in pasta and mix thoroughly with sauce for 3 minutes, and mix in panko at the very end
- Garnish with chopped parsley and extra chili flakes