Sure, I may be looking forward to the Fall, but every now and again, I feel twinges of sadness that the season of sundresses, beaches, sleeveless blouses and beautiful flowers is coming to an end. In an effort to hold onto Summer just a little bit longer, I whipped up a jug of this Sweet Strawberry Lemonade. It’s sweet, cooling, and oh-so-juicy and fresh. Definitely worth it!
Made with fresh lemons and fresh strawberries, you’ll taste the difference from the store bought stuff. Just a quick tip: make sure you have plenty of ice ready before you start this. Lemonade tastes 100% better when it’s icy cold!
I was so pleasantly surprised at the beautiful rose-apricot color that this lemonade turned; it almost makes it more appealing to me! I used a stem of mint as a garnish – and clumsy me dropped a few into the lemonade before getting the positioning on the rim just right. What a happy accident! The mint gave the lemonade an even better kick! You can give it a shot, if you like mint!
This recipe can also be subbed with raspberries, blueberries, and even mangoes (not an obvious lemonade pairing, but trust me, it’s absolutely delish).
So, as children gear up for their long weeks of classes, give them a little taste of the amazing summer that they just had! Parents, make it a little boosier with a splash of plain vodka. Happy Slurpin’!
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 lemons
- 6 large strawberries, diced
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups ice cold water
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- ice, to serve
- In a medium sized pot, heat 1 1/2 cups of water and dissolve the sugar in it completely by stirring.
- Remove from heat and let cool. In a small sauce pan, heat strawberries with 2 tablespoons orange juice. Once the strawberries become mushy and the liquid is red, strain the pulp for a red syrup and set aside.
- In the water and sugar solution, squeeze in the lemon juice and strain into a serving jug. Add in ice cold water and mix.
- Spoon the strawberry syrup into 4 glasses evenly. Add ice into each glass, and pour in lemonade. To sweeten further, add in 1/2 a teaspoon of honey to each serving.