I’m more of a salty snacker than a sweet one. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a real sweet tooth, but give me a good cracker and a bowl of hummus, and I’m all set! These sesame crackers are low maintenance and have the delicious taste of toasted sesame, paprika, and pepper! Perfectly healthy, and perfectly delicious. This snack can be made in under 20 minutes (15 of which these guys spend baking away in the oven!) and stored for a week in an airtight container.
Why are these better than store-bought crackers? Because you know exactly what goes into them! You can spice or sweeten them in infinite combinations and store them in mini containers to put in your lunch bag. An excellent “on-the-go” snack.
A bit of a disclosure; I’ve noticed that these crackers tend to be on the drier side because 1: sesame seeds toast very, very quickly, and 2: there is no butter, and very little oil in this recipe to keep the recipe healthy. It’s best served with hummus, soft cheese, or with my personal favourite: tomato soup.
Kitchen tip: make sure you bake this on a parchment paper or aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. Because they are so thin and crispy, they will break and burn along the bottom if you place the cracker batter directly on the pan.
If you prefer a sweeter treat, mix together the egg whites (same quantity), honey or maple syrup (amount will vary depending on your taste), oil (same quantity), one-fourth teaspoon ground cinnamon, one-fourth teaspoon vanilla extract, flour (same quantity), and the sesame seeds (same quantity) and follow the same baking instructions.
- 1 cup sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 egg whites
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- In a medium sized bowl, beat egg whites until frothy, add in flour, oil, lemon juice and spices and mix thoroughly
- Add in sesame seeds and soak for 15 minutes
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of batter onto parchment lined baking tray and press down cracker batter and flatten into desired shape about ⅛" thick
- Repeat until tray is full (this batter does not spread when baked)
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until golden brown and the edges are curling off the parchment paper