With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, I find myself faced with all manner of sweet temptations; boxes of Ferrerro Rocher, Guylian Belgian chocolates, and other chocolates that are too readily available. I decided to take matters into my own hands this weekend and make delicious Caramel Brownies which combines my awesome Date Sweetened Brownie recipe with this fabulously easy 10 minute caramel sauce recipe.
Making caramel is like magic. If you haven’t tried it, and you love to make desserts; believe me when I say it’s very satisfying to watch the sugar turn into a beautiful amber colour.
I must offer a big “thank you” to my beautiful hand model, Dianne – who graciously offered to help me in photographing the ribboning caramel.
- 1 cup of confectioner's sugar (powdered, superfine sugar)
- ½ cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons good quality butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Add sugar to a pot and heat to medium high and continuously stir with a rubber spatula until the sugar turns from white, to clear, to a beautiful amber colour
- Add in half and half cream. The mixture will harden at first, but keep stirring. It will soften and turn into sauce. Mix until combined and smooth
- Add in butter, vanilla extract, and salt and stir until mixture has thickened slightly
- Add more cream if mixture is too thick
- Don't worry if the mixture isn't as thick as you'd like it when you take it off the heat. As it cools, it will thicken