I don’t know how many people will agree, but the anticipation of Christmas is the best part for me. The pre-vacation jitters, putting up decorations, lights, and my personal favourite part? You guessed it. Menu planning. Deciding which sinfully delicious food we’ll be having on each day is an absolute pleasure.
Cashews are so expensive, but oh BOY, they’re so delicious. I recently reacquainted myself with cashews and their culinary versatility; cashew (vegan) cheese, cream sauces for pasta, gravy, and of course, plain old snacking. Spiced nuts have always been an awesome snack for entertaining. This nifty little recipe takes a total of 15 minutes, and is a fancy precursor to a heavy meals!
So usually, because I have a (bad) snacking habit, a bowl of cashews will be over in under 5 minutes if they’re left in front of me. Because these are spicy, it limits how many I eat. Cool trick, right?
In terms of flavouring, the sweet will likely hit your pallette first, and you’ll feel the tingling spice of the chili linger in your throat shortly after. YUM!
Looking for alternatives? Try honey-garlic oven roasted cashews! Substitute the chili powder for 2 teaspoons of miced garlic, and add a splash of soy sauce to the honey for another awesome snack.
Words of warning: cashews, like most other nuts, roast very quickly. Try to stay close to your oven while they’re hanging out in there so they don’t burn!
The delicious colour of the marinade:
Toss and coat:
- 1½ cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + extra to garnish
- 1½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ cup good quality honey
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment paper
- In a medium sized bowl, mix your "marinade" for the cashews by mixing the chili powder, honey, pepper and sea salt together
- Toss the cashews in the marinade and soak for a minute
- Using a slotted spoon, lay the cashews on the baking tray in a single layer (drain as much of the marinade out before placing cashews on the tray)
- Set your timer to 5 minutes and bake cashews in the preheated oven
- Take tray out after 5 minutes and use a spoon to move the cashews around and flip them on the tray
- Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes (stay close, nuts burn fast!)
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a clean, dry plate. The honey will harden like a glaze after a few minutes
- Top with additional sea salt (optional)
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week