I’m guilty: I was supposed to give y’all the recipe yesterday, but I was all wrapped up in testing out Yule Log recipes for the Holidays! I’m sure you’ll forget all about it when you eat your fifth pancake this morning (maybe tomorrow, since I’m a little late on posting this).
You’ve heard of blueberry pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes – even apple and banana pancakes. It seemed like such an obvious choice to me when I realized blueberries weren’t in season; raspberries. Once you go raspberry, you’ll never go back. Best of all, these fluffy pancakes are gluten free, and have very little sugar, making this an awesome breakfast for any day of the week (but especially for Sundays!).
A light coconutty flavor works perfectly with the raspberries – but you can sub for butter if you hate coconut (I don’t know if people who don’t like coconut exist!!).
In the midst of all these pancakes and syrup, I have to confess, I’ve been so nervous lately. Nervous and thankful that I had an opportunity to write and photograph a cookbook! Thankful that it’s being published, and nervous that it’s my first venture into the published world. 35 days, people! 35 days until the book comes out stores! Pre-order yours today and get it just in time for Christmas!
Back to the pancakes: these really are perfectly fluffy – gluten free flour is a perfect 1 to 1 ratio to regular all purpose flour, so I didn’t have to change my original pancake recipe too much! Personally, I like my pancakes with just a little syrup (not drowned like the ones above – that happened on Michael’s watch). But there are so many options where pancakes are concerned.
Other Toppings and Things to Do with Pancakes
Dark Chocolate Drizzle (oh gosh, that would go amazingly with raspberries)
Whipped Cream (ok, ok, this isn’t the healthiest option, but YUM)
Birthday Pancake (stack them with frosting in between and stick a candle on top!)
Date Syrup – sounds strange, but it’s healthy, sweet and delicious. Recipe to come on the blog soon!
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint of raspberries
- maple syrup, to serve
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and coconut sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the skim milk and egg together.
- Add the milk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined.
- Pour in coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix again. Add in raspberries and mash slightly.
- Rub a little coconut oil onto a griddle or pan. Pour 1/4 cup of batter onto the pan. Flip when bubbles form an pop. Cook for another 40-65 more seconds. Repeat for the rest of the batter. Serve pancakes with maple syrup.