These meatballs are just the ticket for anyone who loves the spice in life! These baked Firecracker Pork Meatballs are so easy to make, and the perfect way to end a chilly evening!
Does anyone else feel like this year is speeding by too quickly? In 11 days, we’ll be welcoming 2018. ELEVEN DAYS?! A new year full of new adventures and resolutions for everyone! One of my resolutions is to get more protein in my diet. I kept a food journal for the past few weeks to track my eating habits, and I noticed how much I rely on carby food to fill up (pastas, breads – the finer foods in life). With that in mind, I’m prepping recipes for weekday meal prep.
These pork meatballs definitely help with the goal. Here’s the trick: heavy on the meatball, light on the pasta. If you reserve about two tablespoons of the sauce before dousing the meatballs in it, toss it with the spaghetti for extra spiciness!
Another great idea is using the sauce as a glaze for meatloaf or a spicy, saucy taco! The possibilities are endless. After all, the real star of the recipe is the Firecracker Sauce!
If you’re going refined sugar free (or some version of it) in January, consider swapping the brown sugar for honey! For vegans, try light agave nectar. The sauce is definitely a little stickier with either of the aforementioned, but definitely doesn’t compromise on the deliciousness of the sauce!
P.S. About that sugar free thing? Here’s a really cool challenge that Pinch of Yum is undertaking in January – and though I’ll be saving the challenge for a little bit later in the year, I’m definitely going to be following Lindsey and Bjork on their journey in January!
What food challenges are you getting into in 2018?
Truly a FIRECRACKER, these meatballs are spicy with a tang! They're best served over spaghetti!
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Louisiana hot sauce
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the meatballs together. Preheat the oven to 375 and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Roll the meatballs into 1 inch balls and place half an inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, combine all the sauce ingredients and whisk until combined. Simmer for a few minutes until thickened.
- Once the meatballs come out of the oven, toss them in the sauce. Place each meatball back on the baking sheet and then bake in the preheated oven for another 2 minutes.
- Serve over spaghetti.