I certainly hope you’re hungry! January is the month that everyone starts making (and breaking) new year’s resolutions to eat healthier. I’ve started and stopped many times! I think the trick is to find happy mediums; spices that jolt your taste buds into feeling like you ate something you really enjoyed – which also happen to be healthy.
These Mediterranean Crispy Couscous Patties are bursting with classic Mediterranean flavors of cumin and paprika and the tartness you can only get from Greek Yogurt. I love that I can eat this with less than half an hour of cooking! Talk about an simple solution to hunger.
Do you love cilantro? Substitute ⅛ cup of chopped spring onions for freshly chopped cilantro!
Some people ask me why I cook my couscous in chicken broth instead of water – the chicken broth brings out a delicious saltiness to the couscous. If you are vegetarian, use vegetable broth!
If you’d like to cut down on your sodium intake, use water to replace the broth!
- ¼ cup uncooked wholegrain couscous
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- ⅛ cup 0% fat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- In a small pot, boil broth and add in couscous
- Cook until all the broth has been absorbed. You will have about 1 cup of cooked couscous. Set aside
- In a small bowl, whisk an egg together with the plain yogurt and spices. Add in green onions, bread crumbs and flour and mix until just combined
- Form 6 medium sized patties with your hands
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and lightly fry each patty for 3 minutes on each side