Donuts: a time honored mate for coffee. But these aren’t your regular donuts, they’re a perfect pre-workout snack that satiates your chocolatey cravings and gives just a little crunch!
Let’s talk about chocolate for a second. I love chocolate. I’m constantly struggling not to eat bucketfuls everyday. So, I try to find creative ways to allow myself small amounts in a healthy(ish) kind of way. I know ‘donut’ doesn’t scream healthy, but stay with me here.
We’re not talkin’ deep fried, cream filled donuts. These donuts are baked, made with protein powder, dark cocoa powder, whole wheat flour, and ground flax seeds. My favorite part are the roasted crushed nuts on top, giving this donut an extra crunch!
Thanks to this amazing new donut pan I bought, I can bake my donuts. This isn’t sponsored, I just LOVE my pan.
Breakfast is the meal I skip the most. I know, I know – people say it’s the most important meal of the day. I disagree: I think my most important food is the food pre and post workout. This donut is not what you think: it’s not dessert. It’s a Chocolate Protein Donut that is not too sweet, but perfect for right before your workout.
So most people make protein shakes before a workout. Great option, but not for me. Liquids before a cardio workout make me nauseous so this was a perfect way to get my protein in me without feeling uneasy. If you’re like me, this is a GREAT option.
The hot chocolate and honey glaze was a last minute (truly genius) inspiration when I realized I didn’t have the ingredients to make a dark chocolate ganache. It’s thin, and just sticky enough to make the nuts stick to the top. I chose almonds and pecans for the top (my two FAVORITE nuts), but you can choose your own adventure. Here are some other topping ideas.
TOPPINGS FOR YOUR PROTEIN DONUTS
Dark chocolate shavings
Finely chopped fresh cherries
Crumbled freeze-dried raspberries
Sweet yogurt drizzle
A big shout out to Sarah from Broma Bakery for inspiring my love for baked donuts and for providing an AMAZING base chocolate donut recipe to work off of! Take some time to browse her incredible collection of baked recipes!
If you’ve made this recipe and love it, remember to tag us on Instagram and use our hashtag: #randmcooks!
Delicious cakey Chocolate Protein donuts with a hot chocolate and honey glaze and a crunchy, nutty topping.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate protein powder
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pecans and almonds, toasted and crushed (to garnish)
- 1/4 cup skim milk, heated
- 3 tablespoons hot chocolate powder
- 4 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a standard sized donut pan with coconut oil or corn oil.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, ground flax seed, sugar, and the baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, milk, oil, and vanilla until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in 3 parts mixing just until combined.
- Use a piping bag filled with the batter and pipe the batter into the pan (not completely filled).
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Allow the donuts to cool for 5 minutes before handling.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the glaze together. Dip each donut into the glaze and then into a dish with the crushed nuts.