A squeeze of lime, a generous sprinkle of cayenne pepper, and shredded cheddar cheese to garnish; these are all the little things that make my favorite Mexican recipes even better. This recipe? Well, it’s no exception!
I’m sure that the leaves will begin to turn brilliant shades of red, yellow, and orange very soon – and today, as the weather is starting to feel more like my favorite season, I thought my dinner should reflect the impending landscape up here in Canada. This low carb, high on protein soup is absolutely scrumptious, and full of the nostalgic Mexican flavors that we all love. Doesn’t it look positively Autumnal?!
In a matter of half an hour, this rainbow soup is ready and trust me, it needs no sides to accompany it. It stands alone as a nutritious meal and you’ll stay full through the night.
I’m still shocked, really at how little preparation this soup takes. 4 servings each for 2 people (and a healthy meal at that), all made in under half an hour. You can’t go wrong! Freeze this soup for a rainy day – it doubles really well. For my vegetarian friends, omit the chicken and double the amount of black beans – or substitute with other any other beans or legumes. Red lentils are also amazing!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 14 ounce can of Italian seasoned diced tomatoes, with the liquid
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 heaping tablespoons of fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- spring onions, to garnish
- grated cheese, to garnish
- Fajita Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot. Saute onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent and garlic has browned slightly.
- Add in red peppers and saute until red peppers have released a little juice and are tender.
- Pour in the black beans, chicken broth, lime juice, diced tomatoes, fajita seasoning. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken breasts. When the chicken breasts are white and cooked, use tongs to remove them and use two forks to shred the chicken. Place the chicken back into the soup and simmer for a few more minutes. Add in cayenne pepper, cornstarch and water, and salt. Stir again.
- Garnish with spring onions and cheese.