With the impending holiday season, I figure we can’t have enough sides/snack/appetizer recipes! This recipe is particularly enticing- because who doesn’t love a crispy, golden spring roll? They’re always the first thing to disappear at parties.
You’ve guessed it; I’ve found a healthier version of our favourite appetizer. It’s baked, not fried, and infinitely healthier than takeout- I promise. It uses minimal oil, and a load of fresh ingredients.
I mean, just take a look at the colourful medley of fresh vegetables that make up the filling! Yum! To keep the veggie filling crispy even after stir-frying, keep the cabbage, carrots, and bean sprouts soaking in ice water for 15 minutes after chopping!
Tip: It helps to dance to Christmas music while making spring rolls. Now…I don’t want to say that it’s mandatory, but if you want the exact recipe – I’ve got to explain the whole process! Don’t worry, I’ll show you how to fold a spring roll like a pro, too!
The filling is light and flavourful. This is an awesome way to get everyone to eat bean sprouts without complaining!
Just a quick note: up here, it’s very difficult to find spring roll wrappers. Egg roll wrappers are more readily available at all the regular grocery stores, so I opted to use egg rolls wrappers which yeilded very similar results! You can use either!
As promised, here’s a mini tutorial on folding a neat spring roll:
Step 1: Placing the filling
Place each spring roll wrapper/egg roll wrapper diagonally on your lightly floured work surface. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of your filling onto the wrapper as shown above. Wet the bottom tip with water.
Step 2: Tuck and Roll
Tuck the corner tightly underneath the filling. Because you wet the tip, it’ll stick! Now, wet the left and right corners with water.
Step 3: The Envelope
Fold the right corner to the middle of the wrapper, and repeat with the left. Wet the remaining edges with water.
- 15 egg roll wrappers/spring roll wrapper
- 2 cups shredded savoy cabbage
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon chopped spring onions
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 5 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray
- Keep the egg roll wrappers/spring roll wrappers cold in the fridge
- Chop the cabbage, carrots, and measure out two cups of the bean sprouts. In a large wok, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil (reserve the rest for later), and add in freshly grated ginger and the chopped vegetables
- Saute for 3-4 minutes and add in spring onions, sesame oil, garlic, soy sauce, and cornstarch dissolved in the water
- When the sauce thickens, set the wok aside and let filling cool
- Lay out spring roll/egg roll wrapper and fold as shown above, lay each spring roll on lined/sprayed baking sheet and brush the tops of the spring rolls with half the remaining olive oil
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, flip over, brush the tops with remainder of the olive oil