Plan to snack. I learned this lesson the hard way! You can wake up super motivated to eat salads and “clean, fresh food”- but for lack of planning, by 2 PM, you’re elbow deep in cheddar flavoured popcorn and chocolate stains streaked across your face. Snacking isn’t a bad thing. This popcorn chicken is the perfect evening snack before dinner. It contains no oil, and paks in tons of flavour, because of the marinade and the seasoning in the breadcrumbs.
I served this with Barbecue sauce and mustard, but because it’s so juicy and well spiced, it’s perfect on its own too! Tip: I would suggest eating this popcorn chicken right away. The chicken will dry out if you microwave it, and the breading will get soggy. If you really want to save it, reheat it in the oven before eating it. I would suggest heating for 10 minutes on your oven’s lowest temperature.
If you would like it crispier, you can do one of two things:
1) Double Breading and extra spray: after you’ve completed the breading process, do it again! Re-dip the breaded piece of chicken in the buttermilk mixture again, and roll in breadcrumbs a second time. Spray the chicken for a few extra seconds with the cooking spray.
2) Fry, don’t bake: For a treat, heat oil in a skillet, and fry pieces of chicken until golden brown.
Vegetarians: have you ever tried breading cauliflour?! Cut it into bite sized pieces, steam for 30 seconds, and complete the same breading process.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup 1% buttermilk
- ¼ dill pickle brine
- cooking spray
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray
- In a medium sized bowl, pour in buttermilk and mix in pickle brine. Submerge bite sized pieces of chicken in buttermilk mixture for 5 minutes
- In a shallow dish, mix together rest of the dry ingredients
- Coat each piece of chicken in breadcrumb mixture and place on baking sheet
- Spray with cooking spray again and bake for 7 minutes
- Take out tray and flip over pieces of chicken carefully, spray with cooking spray again, and increase oven heat to 400 degrees and bake for 8 more minutes