Chocolate is the usual culprit for my temptations, but every once in a while, I’ll really want some chips. But hey, when you’re determined to stay healthy, it feels counter-productive to eat them. What I really crave is the crunch. So, watch out Miss Vickie’s, there are some new crisps in town!
You’ve got a few options here. Personally, I like the taste of potato skins, so I leave it on. If you prefer, you can peel the potato before slicing! You can also experiment with the flavours! While this recipe is for original crisps, you can flavour with salt and vinegar, cheddar, dill, or ketchup. What you’ll need it popcorn flavour shakers to do this!
Here’s the best part, this guilt-free snack is 100 calories per serving. How does that compare to a small bag of original Miss Vickie’s Chips? This homemade snack has less than half the calories. A small bag original of Miss Vickie’s chips contains 270 calories. Although these crisps aren’t something I’ll indulge in everyday, when I get the craving for potato chips, these certainly do the trick. For some extra flavour, try sprinkling some grated Parmesan cheese over the potato slices!
- 1 medium potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- pam baking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Using a mandolin slicer or a sharp knife, slice the potato into ⅛ inch slices
- Submerge the potato slices in a large bowl of water for 15 minutes (this brings the starch up to the surface and will help the potato slices crisp up faster in the oven)
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, lay out the potato slices and spray with pam baking spray for 4 full seconds
- Use your hands to toss the potato slices to evenly coat both sides of each slice
- Add in the salt and pepper, and toss once more
- Bake for 30 minutes or until potato slices brown around the edges and start to warp
- For even crispiness, use a spatula to flip larger slices to prevent limp/soggy pieces